Testing and validation of REST services in Java is harder than in dynamic languages such as Ruby and Groovy. REST Assured brings the simplicity of using these languages into the Java domain.
- 2021-05-21: REST Assured 4.4.0 is released with various improvements and bug fixes. There's one backward incompatible change, the charset is no longer automatically appended to application/json content-type by default. See change log for more details.
- 2020-12-11: REST Assured 4.3.3 is released with dependency updates and a bug fix. See change log for more details.
- 2020-12-11: REST Assured 4.2.1 is released in which we've back-ported a fix that is useful if you're stuck with an older version of Groovy. See change log for more details.
Here's an example of how to make a GET request and validate the JSON or XML response:
Get and verify all winner ids:
get("/lotto").then().assertThat().body("lotto.winners.winnerId", hasItems(23, 54));
given(). param("key1", "value1"). param("key2", "value2"). when(). post("/somewhere"). then(). body(containsString("OK"));
Using X-Path (XML only):
given(). params("firstName", "John", "lastName", "Doe"). when(). post("/greetMe"). then(). body(hasXPath("/greeting/firstName[text()='John']")).
Need authentication? REST Assured provides several authentication mechanisms:
Getting and parsing a response body:
// Example with JsonPath String json = get("/lotto").asString(); List<String> winnerIds = from(json).get("lotto.winners.winnerId"); // Example with XmlPath String xml = post("/shopping").andReturn().body().asString(); Node category = from(xml).get("shopping.category");
REST Assured supports any HTTP method but has explicit support for POST, GET, PUT, DELETE, OPTIONS, PATCH and HEAD and includes specifying and validating e.g. parameters, headers, cookies and body easily.
- Getting started
- Usage Guide (click here for legacy documentation)
- Rest Assured Javadoc
- Rest AssuredMockMvc Javadoc
- XmlPath Javadoc
- JsonPath Javadoc
- Release Notes
Support and discussion
Join the mailing list at our Google group.